Friday, November 02, 2012

Grandma's Dresses


Glitter Text @ Glitterfy.com 




These are all about dresses. From the ribbons, flowery clothes, big pockets, polka dots and laces designs, are the proofs of our ancestors’ creativity. We may call it old-fashioned, but these fashion statements will always be part of our present lives. This is because fashion is a cycle. History does repeat itself, even in the world of fashion. Skinny jeans, high waist and laces are examples. It is nice to think though, all anticipations we have are been there already, only if we are humble enough to look back.


...
My Lola died few years back. Her belongings are kept in a big wooden box, “baul ni Lola”. But recently, my mama opened it to get rid of all those infesting it. Termites, cockroach, etc. And though I have seen all my Lola’s dresses when she was still alive, seeing them folded in the “baul”, kept for a very long time, gave me a beautiful idea. It is to resurrect my Lola’s dresses. Before I will forget it, my Lola’s old maid sister is a “sastre”. She is my tiyay Persing (Persecussion Huervana). I’m confident that she sews all these dresses. When I was a little girl, she had sewn me a lot of dresses too. It is my dream to learn how to sew too, if given a chance.
My grandma’s name is Azucena Huervana Jaleco. I call her my Lola Susing. And these are all my grandmother’s dresses:
Together with my photographer, little sister Kei. Our dresses are of the same style, the only difference is that mine have buttons.

















 




































No comments: